Post your introduction here

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Post your introduction here

Post by toddinbr on Wed Jun 10, 2015 3:04 pm

No problem Nick! Building a boat is a lot of fun. I will warn you though it is an addition similar to Meth ( without the tooth loss) lol
Todd

toddinbr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by kcinnick on Wed Jun 10, 2015 5:57 pm

toddinbr wrote:No problem Nick!  Building a boat is a lot of fun. I will warn you though it is an addition similar to Meth ( without the tooth loss) lol
Todd

I'll buy, you can build! I really think I am going with a kit just to have the molds perfect. I build a boat, cut the molds, had them lined up on the strong back then got transferred. I moved 3 times with my molds before I let a neighbor re purpose the molds and strong back materials.

Now I have my own business that has been stable for 2 years and we bought a house, no more renting houses. I feel comfortable once I get her up I can get her done.

kcinnick

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by toddinbr on Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:13 pm

lol, give me a call sometime and come check out mine. Call Cl if you want someone to build for you, He is the expert!
I still marvel that mine floats! lol.

toddinbr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by kcinnick on Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:26 pm

toddinbr wrote:lol, give me a call sometime and come check out mine. Call Cl if you want someone to build for you, He is the expert!
I still marvel that mine floats! lol.

Don't think I haven't been tempted to get in touch with CL... I probably need more gold to go that route.

kcinnick

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Wadestep on Thu Jun 18, 2015 4:42 pm

Hi Guys - Wade here. I live in SW Florida and have built a canoe, 10 foot dinghy, and a 19' skiff, all ply-cored, fiberglass and epoxy-sheathed. I've also done some reasonable deck reinforcements on my 29' Strike.
I just recently stumbled into a 32-year old trawler, 41' long. I'm sure it will need something or other I can share here.

Wadestep

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin - Shine on Sun Jun 21, 2015 11:00 am

Wadestep wrote:Hi Guys - Wade here.  I live in SW Florida and have built a canoe, 10 foot dinghy, and a 19' skiff, all ply-cored, fiberglass and epoxy-sheathed.  I've also done some reasonable deck reinforcements on my 29' Strike.  
I just recently stumbled into a 32-year old trawler, 41' long.  I'm sure it will need something or other I can share here.  

Hey Wade, good to hear from you. A trawler, wow, something to pull the ob19? Smile
Admin - Shine
Admin

View user profile http://gulfstreamcomposites.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by noeltyrpak on Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:23 pm

I'm Noel. I'm currently replacing the deck on a 1970, 15' chapparel. I'm from upstate south Carolina, and relatively new to boating. I'm a finish carpenter by trade, so this project is right up my alley!

noeltyrpak

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin - Shine on Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:15 am

noeltyrpak wrote:I'm Noel. I'm currently replacing the deck on a 1970, 15' chapparel. I'm from upstate south Carolina, and relatively new to boating. I'm a finish carpenter by trade, so this project is right up my alley!

Welcome Noel Smile

Look forward to seeing you project.

Joel
Admin - Shine
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dan1949 on Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:46 am

Hey y'all, I'm Dan and I live in Randleman, NC. I'm building my first boat and so far I'm pretty excited about it. It's a 16ft. westcoast cedar wood strip kayak. I have the wooden part done and am ready to do the fiberglassing, but I have never done this before. I could use some help Joel if you have the time. I don't know which speed hardener to use. I'm glad to meet you all!

Dan1949

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin - Shine on Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:10 am

Dan1949 wrote:Hey y'all, I'm Dan and I live in Randleman, NC. I'm building my first boat and so far I'm pretty excited about it. It's a 16ft. westcoast cedar wood strip kayak. I have the wooden part done and am ready to do the fiberglassing, but I have never done this before. I could use some help Joel if you have the time. I don't know which speed hardener to use. I'm glad to meet you all!

Hey Dan, thanks for posting. Yes, I am very happy to guide you along. Please start a build thread for your project here in this section..

which hardener depends on the type of construction and your working temps. But, you cant go wrong with SLOW Smile
Admin - Shine
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Picknasty on Thu Aug 20, 2015 1:45 am

Hi everyone, My name is Matt and I'm from Biloxi, MS. I've done a few gut and rebuild jobs to some low dollar trihull skiffs but I'm beginning my first major project with my '67 Formula 233. It is a total rebuild and I am very much looking forward to this project as it progresses. Thank you Joel for putting this together and providing all of the information and help that you do.

Picknasty

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin - Shine on Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:20 am

Picknasty wrote:Hi everyone, My name is Matt and I'm from Biloxi, MS. I've done a few gut and rebuild jobs to some low dollar trihull skiffs but I'm beginning my first major project with my '67 Formula 233. It is a total rebuild and I am very much looking forward to this project as it progresses. Thank you Joel for putting this together and providing all of the information and help that you do.

Welcome Matt,

I look forward to seeing your rebuild. Please post any questions you have and I will help you through it. Smile

Joel
Admin - Shine
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dawg on Sun Aug 23, 2015 8:10 pm

Hi Guys, my handle on that other forum is Prarie Dog. I've built two stitch and glue boats and have a third. Good to see you here Joel, best of luck with your new venture.

Dawg

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin - Shine on Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:58 am

Dawg wrote:Hi Guys, my handle on that other forum is Prarie Dog.  I've built two stitch and glue boats and have a third.  Good to see you here Joel, best of luck with your new venture.

Welcome, great to have you here. ! Very Happy
Admin - Shine
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JupSC on Thu Aug 27, 2015 3:03 pm

Hey everybody, my names chris. I'm currently bracketing and enclosing a transom on a 23 seacraft. I watched Joel's rehab/rebuild and was thoroughly impressed. I live around the corner from his store so I figured he would be the best to consult with and get materials from.

JupSC

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Madmooner on Fri Sep 18, 2015 5:53 pm

Good day, all.

I'm looking to build a smallish skiff and much Googlin' led me to Joel Shine and Gulfstream Composites.

Looking forward to starting a project soon!

Madmooner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin - Shine on Sat Sep 19, 2015 8:18 am

Welcome madmooner, let me know what kind of skiff your interested in. The next set of plans we put out will be a small skiff.

Joel
Admin - Shine
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Screaming Spool on Tue Sep 29, 2015 2:08 pm

Matt- form Cape Cod. Slowly rebuilding a 85 Hydra Sports 24'. Projects for the winter are, replace Hard top, add bracket and close up the transom

Hard top was retrofitted off an old stamos and must be 2" thick weighing 3 times what it should. We modified the legs to fit my boat, now it's time to make a modern light weight top. I'd like some feedback on what materials you would recommend. Also I've never used an existing peice as a mold.

Joel / Shine Thanks for starting the forum.

Screaming Spool

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin - Shine on Tue Sep 29, 2015 2:12 pm

Screaming Spool wrote:Matt- form Cape Cod. Slowly rebuilding a 85 Hydra Sports 24'. Projects for the winter are, replace Hard top, add bracket and close up the transom

Hard top was retrofitted off an old stamos and must be 2" thick weighing 3 times what it should. We modified the legs to fit my boat, now it's time to make a modern light weight top. I'd like some feedback on what materials you would recommend. Also I've never used an existing peice as a mold.

Joel / Shine Thanks for starting the forum.

Welcome! Please start a thread for your hardtop and I will be happy to walk you through it.

joel
Admin - Shine
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Tablab22 on Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:13 pm

Hi Everyone, my name is Tim B from Miami FL, I have never built a boat but have followed some of yours for years. I really admire your design Joel, that would certainly be my dream boat. I recently decided to take a small plunge and bought plans for a 17' Canoe. Even convinced my wife to help. Ill be figuring out my materials and ordering them soon.

Tablab22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

really new guy here..

Post by gunfighterF8 on Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:18 pm

Came across site looking for F233 ideas.
Currently rebuilding a 233 1964 boat with original bill of sale! Dry stored in Clayton NY entire life.
Power is 2 late 3.0 Merc's very low hours.
Cockpit deck was spongy, entire cabin deck spongy. Stringers,transom very solid. Hull was #8 built, has balsa cored sides. also sound. Cabin deck recored, working on cockpit.
Raised cockpit sole 4", to really self bail. Sealed hatches currently in process.
Using mahogany for hatch opening frames, deck 5/8" Okume glassed under and of course over. Deck braced with mahogany as needed.
Goal is lightest possible, with batteries and trim units moved fwd close to bulkhead. Will be building balsa cored motor box and changing to fit FWC .
Live bait well going just fwd of engines on stbd side.
Had a 350 powered 233 in Calif, great boat. Here in SC wanted 2 engines as offshore fishing is way out.. In between two 233's had a 28 Donzi sportsman cabin boat with 2 modified 440's. Loved the boat hated the fuel... so the 2 little 3.0's are my solution.
Background is Old- Old former F8 Crusader driver, 1200mph with no computers, GPs's and little carriers. Then built wooden yes wooden sailboats in Japan for 7 years. So new glass goodies is not foreign BUT I can use advice on tech as I go.
This site looks great and yes I see a 233 rebuild I can identify with.

gunfighterF8

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin - Shine on Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:42 am

Tablab22 wrote:Hi Everyone, my name is Tim B from Miami FL, I have never built a boat but have followed some of yours for years.  I really admire your design Joel, that would certainly be my dream boat.   I recently decided to take a small plunge and bought plans for a 17' Canoe.  Even convinced my wife to help.  Ill be figuring out my materials and ordering them soon.

Welcome and thanks for posting!

a canoe is a great place to start, I always recommend building something like that before starting a large project. Even if your tossed out the canoe when you were done, it would pay for itself in saved time and materials on the bigger project !

Let me know what you need for materials (I have an idea already Laughing ) - we have free shipping on orders over $150 and that about what a canoe kit would be (1.5 gallon epoxy, 1 lb woodflour, roll of fiberglass tape)
Admin - Shine
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin - Shine on Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:53 am

gunfighterF8 wrote:Came across site looking for F233 ideas.
Currently rebuilding a 233   1964 boat with original bill of sale! Dry stored in Clayton NY entire life.
Power is 2 late 3.0 Merc's very low hours.
Cockpit deck was spongy, entire cabin deck spongy. Stringers,transom very solid. Hull was #8 built, has balsa cored sides. also sound. Cabin deck recored, working on cockpit.
Raised cockpit sole 4", to really self bail. Sealed hatches currently in process.
Using mahogany for hatch opening frames, deck 5/8" Okume glassed under and of course over. Deck braced with mahogany as needed.
Goal is lightest possible, with batteries and trim units moved fwd close to bulkhead. Will be building balsa cored  motor box and changing to fit FWC .
Live bait well going just fwd of engines on stbd side.
Had a 350 powered 233 in Calif, great boat. Here in SC wanted 2 engines as offshore fishing  is way out.. In between two 233's had a 28 Donzi sportsman cabin boat with 2 modified 440's. Loved the boat hated the fuel... so the 2 little 3.0's are my solution.
Background is Old- Old former F8 Crusader driver, 1200mph with no computers, GPs's and little carriers. Then built wooden yes wooden sailboats in Japan for 7 years. So new glass goodies is not foreign BUT I can use advice on tech as I go.
This site looks great and yes I see a 233 rebuild I can identify with.  

What a cool find !

Here in SC wanted 2 engines as offshore fishing  is way out..

yeah! growing up, we had to run 35 miles before we got over 100' Crying or Very sad True offshore (dolphin,tuna,wahoo) was a 3 hour run from Hilton Head. Your going to need a lot of fuel Smile

Old former F8 Crusader driver, 1200mph with no computers, GPs's and little carriers.

My favorite fighter jet when I was a little kid in Jacksonville FL. We used to get tours of the Saratoga. Thank you for your service.

Would love to follow your rebuild if you don't mind posting some pictures.
Admin - Shine
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BogueSounder on Fri May 26, 2017 2:30 pm

Hi Folks,
Mark from NC. Fish mostly out of Bogue Sound and occasionally Core Sound (really like it up there). Long time lurker on several other boating / fishing sites. I've long been impressed with several of the builders on here and have spent many hours following Shine and CL on their projects and advice to others. So, excited to be here also.

Currently, a few projects and no real time. My main focus is a Privateer Retriever (18' 6"). I really want to get this boat on the water for fall 2017 fishing. Currently all torn up...so, we shall see. Another (also all torn up) waiting for love and scrap parts is a little Dixie microskiff. This one is a long ways out - maybe spring 2018?

Many thanks - Mark

BogueSounder

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin - Shine on Sat May 27, 2017 12:35 pm

welcome Mark!
Admin - Shine
Admin

Back to top Go down