GulfstreamComposites.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BERTRAM 28 CENTER CONSOLE CONVERSION

+2
Admin - Shine
DAYTRIP
6 posters

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

BERTRAM 28 CENTER CONSOLE CONVERSION - Page 3 Empty Re: BERTRAM 28 CENTER CONSOLE CONVERSION

Post by Admin - Shine Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:59 am

nice work on the hatches, hold onto those molds Wink

BTW, I have that trapezoid "frame" mold for you, forgot to give it to you last time.

I think you will like how well the high-build fills on that console.

thanks for posting
Admin - Shine
Admin - Shine
Admin

https://gulfstreamcomposites.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

BERTRAM 28 CENTER CONSOLE CONVERSION - Page 3 Empty Re: BERTRAM 28 CENTER CONSOLE CONVERSION

Post by DAYTRIP Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:33 pm

I need those frame molds for sure. I am going to cut the gutter mold down to 22x 36. Do you want me to make you some of the bigger size 24x 54.
Dry fit the hatch in place tonight. This will be the fish box location. The box will be 1-1/2" thick and 18 deep x 66" long x 24" wide

BERTRAM 28 CENTER CONSOLE CONVERSION - Page 3 Image~111

BERTRAM 28 CENTER CONSOLE CONVERSION - Page 3 Image~110

DAYTRIP

Back to top Go down

Post by DAYTRIP Sat Oct 10, 2015 3:17 pm

Started to build the fish box today. I used 1.5 " thick 4 lb density polyumac foam. I basically cut the pieces and fit them up in place. Once they were correct I pinned them together with nails and the hatch gutter in place. I then mixed up wood flour/cabosil and epoxy in order to fillet it together. Once it set a little I taped it together with 10 oz.. Once it kicks I will pull it out and of the boat and glass the inside and out. The dimensions are 5' long x 2' wide x 16" deep

BERTRAM 28 CENTER CONSOLE CONVERSION - Page 3 Image~112

BERTRAM 28 CENTER CONSOLE CONVERSION - Page 3 Image~113

BERTRAM 28 CENTER CONSOLE CONVERSION - Page 3 Image~114

DAYTRIP

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin - Shine Sun Oct 11, 2015 5:00 pm

Nice! Looks like you have it angled down in the center for drainage?
Admin - Shine
Admin - Shine
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DAYTRIP Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:37 pm

You are correct Joel. It slopes about an inch in 30". Removed the box from the boat to prep and glass it. I need to figure out how big of a drain to put in it. Think I should do a big one like 1.5" that would go overboard?

BERTRAM 28 CENTER CONSOLE CONVERSION - Page 3 Image~115

BERTRAM 28 CENTER CONSOLE CONVERSION - Page 3 Image~116

Also cut the gutter mold down so I can make the rear deck piece. I redid the techTonic tape. These will be 32 x 22

BERTRAM 28 CENTER CONSOLE CONVERSION - Page 3 Image~117

I have the forth fill on the side of the console. Doing thin tight coats so sanding is as minimal as possible but it is still yo much Evil or Very Mad

DAYTRIP

Back to top Go down

Post by DAYTRIP Mon Oct 12, 2015 7:27 pm

Fifth fill on stbd side of console. Should be the last before primer. For those that are curious. I calculated that I currently have $5,200 in materials and $750 in the hull. That excludes the hardtop which is another $800 so far. I have used 28 gallons of epoxy on the hull and 7 on the hardtop. About 1400 in meranti plywood. If I had to project forward I will have another 12-15 gallons of epoxy. Fuel tanks were quoted at 1700 for two 120 gallon tanks. Not too bad for a 28 footer, at least that is what I am telling myself

BERTRAM 28 CENTER CONSOLE CONVERSION - Page 3 Image~118

DAYTRIP

Back to top Go down

Post by lawtoolguy Tue Oct 13, 2015 1:05 pm

I did the rough math this weekend and figure I have about
16,000 in mine lincluding motors. Painful thought

lawtoolguy

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin - Shine Tue Oct 13, 2015 1:08 pm

lawtoolguy wrote: Painful thought

If you want to feel A LOT better, go to a boat show and look at price tags for boats that can do the same thing as yours Laughing Laughing

Admin - Shine
Admin - Shine
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by lawtoolguy Tue Oct 13, 2015 1:53 pm

Went to Tampa a couple weekends ago. Was great for ideas only.

lawtoolguy

Back to top Go down

Post by DAYTRIP Wed Oct 14, 2015 11:53 am

So I made the mistake of posting the project on the hull truth a week or two ago. I always swore I wouldn't do it as it is one of those forums that brings out snippers. The console really appears to be a love or hate item. A buddy of mine at work likes it and says it reminds him of a glasstech 36. Well I have never seen one but when I looked it up it is exactly what I intend to accomplish. Thought I would share. It goes without saying that the Bertram lines are not even close to this beauty but you see the intent. I am adding a front seat and the rear console and door to mine once it is faired

BERTRAM 28 CENTER CONSOLE CONVERSION - Page 3 Image~120

BERTRAM 28 CENTER CONSOLE CONVERSION - Page 3 Image~121

BERTRAM 28 CENTER CONSOLE CONVERSION - Page 3 Image~122

DAYTRIP

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin - Shine Wed Oct 14, 2015 3:18 pm

I love the layout. nice looking hull. Your boat will be able to do all the things that one can, and do it a lot cheaper with outboards Very Happy
Admin - Shine
Admin - Shine
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DAYTRIP Thu Oct 15, 2015 2:10 pm

Joel, if I built a water tank with glass and epoxy what do you think I would need to do to decontaminate it if I were going to consume the water?

DAYTRIP

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin - Shine Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:00 pm

DAYTRIP wrote:Joel, if I built a water tank with glass and epoxy what do you think I would need to do to decontaminate it if I were going to consume the water?  

I don't think I would drink the water even if it were cleaned out, just a lot easier to drink from water bottles. No problem for showers or washdown. The water probably wouldn't taste that great and there is the risk of amines leaching out as the epoxy cures and post-cures. I would drink it if I were thirsty enough though Smile
Admin - Shine
Admin - Shine
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DAYTRIP Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:13 pm

Yea I am thinking worst case, adrift at sea.

DAYTRIP

Back to top Go down

Post by Carolina flare Thu Oct 15, 2015 4:57 pm

I did my water tank that way. I read something from West Systems about epoxy water tanks. They suggested using slightly less hardner and to post cure. Mine is 30 gal, I've emptied it maybe 5 times. I tasted it the other day because I was curious. Seamed fine. But I keep plenty of bottled water on board.
Love what your doing
Carolina flare
Carolina flare

Back to top Go down

Post by Madmooner Fri Oct 16, 2015 4:47 pm

DAYTRIP wrote:So I made the mistake of posting the project on the hull truth a week or two ago. I always swore I wouldn't do it as it is one of those forums that brings out snippers. The console really appears to be a love or hate item. A buddy of mine at work likes it and says it reminds him of a glasstech 36. Well I have never seen one but when I looked it up it is exactly what I intend to accomplish. Thought I would share. It goes without saying that the Bertram lines  are not even close to this beauty  but you see the intent. I am adding a front seat and the rear console and door to mine once it is faired

BERTRAM 28 CENTER CONSOLE CONVERSION - Page 3 Image~120

BERTRAM 28 CENTER CONSOLE CONVERSION - Page 3 Image~121

BERTRAM 28 CENTER CONSOLE CONVERSION - Page 3 Image~122

That looks like a slightly longer Ocean Master 31. I fished on one a couple months back that had a console that was very similar to what you are building. It was, IMO, a perfect fit. Plenty of room to move around the console, and I mean plenty...and a nice cabin with a couple bunks and lots of dry storage.

With a beamy boat like the OM and your Bert the "fish around", or whatever you want to call it, console makes so much sense!

I enjoy the hell out of THT. The RegTenderFinHorn crowd cracks me up.

Madmooner

Back to top Go down

Post by DAYTRIP Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:27 am

Thanks Madmooner. My only issue with the guys that throw darts is they don't make it productive by saying what they don't like about it. Make the criticism constructive. Oh well.
Built my first part off the cut down mold. Used gel coat on this to reduce some of the body work and I am planning on making it a plug. Plan on getting it straight and building a "real" mold off of it. I have never done it and have always wanted to. We will see :doh: . I left the hinges off Joel and fingered I would put them in as requested. It is real easy to put little block outs in there. Once I get a mold I will lay one up and get it to you for inspection Very Happy all the lines are the overlaps in that tacnion tap.

BERTRAM 28 CENTER CONSOLE CONVERSION - Page 3 Image~123

Put a drain in the fish box and glassed the inside. Used a 1-1/4 pic elbow as the fitting. Roughed it up really well and glassed it in place. Used 2 layers of 10oz to glass the inside. That gives me 4 in the corners. Will do the outside in 1708 for some strength.

BERTRAM 28 CENTER CONSOLE CONVERSION - Page 3 Image~124

BERTRAM 28 CENTER CONSOLE CONVERSION - Page 3 Image~125

DAYTRIP

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin - Shine Wed Oct 21, 2015 4:58 pm

looking good, I suppose your going to use the black hatch as the plug?
Admin - Shine
Admin - Shine
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DAYTRIP Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:22 am

It will be the plug Joel. I have sanded it down and done a first fill. Hope to get it straight and primed Saturday then start the mold layup. Thinking I might do a couple sizes if it works well. This is 22x32. What do you think about 18x18?

DAYTRIP

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin - Shine Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:01 am

That would be a very useful size. If you decide to make one even smaller it just needs to be big enough to fit a battery through the opening Smile

I believe all the hatches on my SC were 20" square (opening), and that was plenty of room to reach in a do work on pumps or whatever, it was also big enough to fit a 20 lb bag of ice through Smile
Admin - Shine
Admin - Shine
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DAYTRIP Sat Oct 24, 2015 5:14 pm

Started building the steering and control pod on the console today. I will cut the back face of the console above the pod line and recess that face 6 inches for screen and gauges. Pics are a little weird cause it is on its side still. Did my 6th fill on the port side which should be it before priming. Getting closer

BERTRAM 28 CENTER CONSOLE CONVERSION - Page 3 Image~127

BERTRAM 28 CENTER CONSOLE CONVERSION - Page 3 Image~128

BERTRAM 28 CENTER CONSOLE CONVERSION - Page 3 Image~128

DAYTRIP

Back to top Go down

Post by DAYTRIP Sun Oct 25, 2015 3:52 pm

Got a bit farther on the control pod and the console as a whole. I cut the back face of the console and recessed it 6 inches so I would get a vision over the electronics. Worked out great. I filleted in but no glass yet. I also did a first prime to see where I was at. Makes you feel like some progress. For better or worse I am done with bulk filling on top and sides. I will be cutting a seat into the front next. Also the door to get into the console will be on the other half of the rear face.

BERTRAM 28 CENTER CONSOLE CONVERSION - Page 3 Image~130

BERTRAM 28 CENTER CONSOLE CONVERSION - Page 3 Image~131

DAYTRIP

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin - Shine Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:30 am

I cut the back face of the console and recessed it 6 inches so I would get a vision over the electronics. Worked out great.

That will be nice, keep the screens out of the sun and dry.
Admin - Shine
Admin - Shine
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DAYTRIP Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:52 am

Thanks, trying to figure if I should do a big (2-3") radius on the back of the pod or just something regular? What do you think? I am shocked how fair it looks. We will see when I sand it but I think it is good.

DAYTRIP

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin - Shine Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:58 am

I think you should make a mahogany or teak pod, with big radius Smile  

or make this on work....

http://tampa.craigslist.org/pnl/bpo/5244089920.html

I am shocked how fair it looks.
haha, now that made me laugh Laughing
Admin - Shine
Admin - Shine
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next