GulfstreamComposites.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WW 25 refurb - whitewater 25

2 posters

Go down

WW 25 refurb - whitewater 25 Empty WW 25 refurb - whitewater 25

Post by Picknasty Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:17 am

Well I started a 233 build last year but quickly figured out before I got too far into it that it was just a few feet too short. (If you're looking for a 233 project hull then I've got one striped down to the stringers and the trailer for sale) I ended up buying a 1983 Whitewater 25 inboard w/ 1996 OMC 454. After being a lifetime outboard guy the inboard has taken a little getting used to but man o man, its the way to be when it gets nasty out. Having that engine up front really helps sturdy out the ride.

Anyway, enough of all that, on to the good stuff. A lot is on the list to get done in the next few months. I smelled gas in the bilge on my last outing so I did the normal procedures, checked all the lines, checked for any leaks and I found it coming from the tank. Pulled both tanks and one had a hole I could have fit my pinky into. I had a local welder fab up two replacement saddle tanks for me and I finally got those back. Now time to sand and coal tar the tanks. I'll be going with fuel senders from WEMA, I am tired of the universal fit Moehler's that I keep replacing on every boat I service.  

A few other things I will fix are a soft spot in the deck up front that needs to be repaired, a front floor hatch that needs to be redone and have a notch for the anchor line, a updated chart plotter/FF from garmin in the electronic box above the console, some nicely placed speakers to jam, combing bolsters from seadek, and drop a new coat of grey kiwi grip on the deck. Oh yeah, and a new merc 383 to push a little more efficient than the old girl has now. Anyway I'll be posting some pictures of the progress as it comes along. Really excited to have this done and get through this process.

WW 25 refurb - whitewater 25 2lsbot0

Here is a pic of the tanks out
WW 25 refurb - whitewater 25 2nsmjwh
WW 25 refurb - whitewater 25 2e549ed

Picknasty

Back to top Go down

WW 25 refurb - whitewater 25 Empty Re: WW 25 refurb - whitewater 25

Post by Picknasty Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:32 am

Hey Joel, How much coal tar did you use to cover your two saddle tanks. Mine are 50 gallons each, I'm thinking that one gallon won't be enough and that I might need two. Would I be right?

Picknasty

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin - Shine Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:28 am

awesome boat, I didnt realize it was an inboard when we corresponded, very cool. A one gallon kit (normally it a 4/1) should be plenty.

Thanks for posting the pictures, Im happy to walk you through with whatever help you need.
Admin - Shine
Admin - Shine
Admin

https://gulfstreamcomposites.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Picknasty Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:14 am

About to make my order, would the 2lb foam off the your website work for foaming in the tank? Also for tabbing, which would be better, 1708 or the biax that you have? Thank you.

Picknasty

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin - Shine Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:03 am

Picknasty wrote:About to make my order, would the 2lb foam off the your website work for foaming in the tank? Also for tabbing, which would be better, 1708 or the biax that you have? Thank you.

since you have tabs to hold tank in place, the 2 lb is what I use. Some people like to use 4 lb, but I dont trust that either. The foam is there to fill the void, yes it does offer support, but I dont count on it.

1708 for sure. Thinner biax would take 2 layers and not come out as smooth
Admin - Shine
Admin - Shine
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Picknasty Sun Jun 11, 2017 3:20 pm

Its been slow since the last post but a few roadblocks were worked through during that time. Just ordered my glass and kiwi grip from Gulfstream today. Here are two pictures of the tanks foamed in. I have to go back and trim the foam back more and prep it to receive the glass. My dad put another coat of coal tar in a few spots and went over some foam on the tank but that shouldn't be too much trouble to fix those spots. New Wema sending units are in and all I have left to do is install the gauges and they should be tip top.

WW 25 refurb - whitewater 25 15nvkbd

WW 25 refurb - whitewater 25 Mcuqds

Picknasty

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin - Shine Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:21 am

I assume you still have the deck piece to replace and the section of bulkhead that has the gutter?  I would replace the deck part first (pretty obvious).  I would epoxy in a flat piece of glass around the perimeter of the hole and epoxy the piece back in, then bevel back the joint on the outside with a grinder to lay in some glass to complete the joint.
Admin - Shine
Admin - Shine
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Picknasty Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:32 am

Making good progress. Just replaced both batteries today with new wiring and selector switch. I have been meticulously cleaning in the bilge and by the engine and I'm contemplating putting down an pigmented epoxy coat (just read that on Joel's build) in the bilge to make it pop to make any kind of leaks stand out. Also pulled off the raw water intake hose and it was shredded, so a trip to West Marine and I came back with replacement hose and new bilge pumps/float switches. Had another fun moment when I went to start it up and the bugger wouldn't turnover, after troubleshooting for a while figured out the slave solenoid had gone bye bye and ordered a new one from Arco, should be here tomorrow.

Now on to the fun stuff, tanks are foamed in and glassed in and it looks good. I need to install the wema gas gauges and a new voltmeter but that'll have to wait until monday cause the boat is in the shop getting a new JL audio set up right now.

I ordered some 1708 from Joel and its the first time that I've used that. Amazing stuff, I was a bit apprehensive about patching up the holes I had to cut out in the transom skit to pull the tanks but a little ingenuity and grinding and I think it came out alright. I like what Coors did on his 28 where he took down the black stripping and hit it with some black spray paint to darken it up. I'll probably do that and the laundry list of other things when I get the boat back on Monday.

Bottom line is thank you Joel for talking me through a project I never finished and now through this refurb. I appreciate all your help and expertise.

Here one is after it was sanded and I used some wood strips to hold it in place behind the skirt.
WW 25 refurb - whitewater 25 X22waw

Here is the right side, a little air gap in between where the blade cut
WW 25 refurb - whitewater 25 34no4no

Here is the port side, I used epoxy/silica filler to fill the gap before I laid the glass. Looks like it came out a little better.
WW 25 refurb - whitewater 25 28bzmgp

Picknasty

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum