GulfstreamComposites.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BERTRAM 28 CENTER CONSOLE CONVERSION

+2
Admin - Shine
DAYTRIP
6 posters

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

BERTRAM 28 CENTER CONSOLE CONVERSION Empty BERTRAM 28 CENTER CONSOLE CONVERSION

Post by DAYTRIP Tue Apr 14, 2015 2:36 pm

I am going to start a thread here of a project that I am mid way through. I will populate it with some history but for now here is where I am at. I took a 1979 Bertram Flybridge cruiser and cut it down to the gunnels. I built a bracket on the back and have made new gunnels so far. The pics below show the intended layout with the walkaround console that I have built. More to come....

BERTRAM 28 CENTER CONSOLE CONVERSION Img_0112

BERTRAM 28 CENTER CONSOLE CONVERSION Img_0113

BERTRAM 28 CENTER CONSOLE CONVERSION Img_0114

Last edited by DAYTRIP on Sun May 03, 2015 9:34 pm; edited 1 time in total

DAYTRIP

Back to top Go down

BERTRAM 28 CENTER CONSOLE CONVERSION Empty Re: BERTRAM 28 CENTER CONSOLE CONVERSION

Post by Admin - Shine Tue Apr 14, 2015 3:44 pm

The gunnels came out great!
Admin - Shine
Admin - Shine
Admin

https://gulfstreamcomposites.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

BERTRAM 28 CENTER CONSOLE CONVERSION Empty Re: BERTRAM 28 CENTER CONSOLE CONVERSION

Post by DAYTRIP Tue Apr 14, 2015 3:48 pm

Thanks Joel! The forum is awesome. Jim

DAYTRIP

Back to top Go down

Post by Carolina flare Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:56 pm

Coming together nice Jim. I like the lines with the giant console in the boat.
Keep going
Bob
Carolina flare
Carolina flare

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin - Shine Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:05 pm

Jim, did you use the line of the sole/side joint to determine the inside curve of the gunnel, if so how much did you offset it?

Admin - Shine
Admin - Shine
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DAYTRIP Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:54 am

I did use that as my guide Joel. It is only inset about an inch and a half.

DAYTRIP

Back to top Go down

Post by stevenaa Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:28 pm

Good eye. It looks 'right'.

stevenaa

Back to top Go down

Post by DAYTRIP Sun May 03, 2015 9:47 pm

Got some work done today. GRINDING! The worst part of the process. Removed the wood the served as stiffening and backing for struts. Also ground the shaft log port down flush. The area is going to be a fish box, one on each side. The are between the outer stringers and the hull side use to be where the exhaust ran. Cut out the old supports on the port side. I will put bulkheads every 2' in that area. Looking to add some torsional rigidity the length of the boat on each side. I will also add a layer of glass in all these areas

BERTRAM 28 CENTER CONSOLE CONVERSION Image14

BERTRAM 28 CENTER CONSOLE CONVERSION Image16

DAYTRIP

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin - Shine Mon May 04, 2015 2:44 pm

I will put bulkheads every 2' in that area. Looking to add some torsional rigidity the length of the boat on each side.

Thats a lot, but they certainly wont hurt. Since you are (I think you are anyway) planning to bond the deck/sole down to the tops to the stringers and the sides, you will have a lot of stiffness added vs the old setup that only had deck beam and a liner.

I will also add a layer of glass in all these areas.

With all the over laps from tabbing in the frames, you might be adding a layer already. Maybe if you use 1708 for tabbing (one layer) you could just make the tabbing extend a little further onto the hull, that way you get you extra thickness you want with a little less work. Just an idea Smile

Thanks for posting!
Admin - Shine
Admin - Shine
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DAYTRIP Wed May 06, 2015 11:45 am

I thought about that as well Joel maybe I will just do that. I am planning on adding a layer to the bottom when I flip it over and going the paint off

DAYTRIP

Back to top Go down

Post by DAYTRIP Sun May 31, 2015 5:49 pm

Been making some progress all be it sloooooooow. The heat makes it hard to get motivated. You can see the bulkheads on the outside and the bulkheads between the inner and outer stringers are foam. Had some flat panels left from the hard top project so cut them up and used them. I am going to foam fill that area and they will be fish boxes. There is one bulkhead left to do on the front of each box. I raised the outer stringer to a point 13' forward of the transom and will do the same for the inners. Primary purpose is floor support. The area in the center will get bullheaded to make live well and lazeret. I can not wait to get the floor in this thing.

The other thing I have done is glass the bottom of the transom core. Change my plan a little on this. Originally I was going to use foam core for that last 3 inches to avoid water issue as most attachments would be in that area. As I thought about it more I figured the load the core is carrying is going into the stringers almost exclusively and the core need not go to the floor. So that is what I got!

For some reason the photo is cropping off.

BERTRAM 28 CENTER CONSOLE CONVERSION Image~89

DAYTRIP

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin - Shine Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:46 am

The heat makes it hard to get motivated.

I hear you. Hopping to have time and motivation to get back on the formula this week

Will you be extending the sole back to the transom?
Admin - Shine
Admin - Shine
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DAYTRIP Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:52 am

Yea, taking it all. The center portion will be all hatches so not a lot of pure decking

DAYTRIP

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin - Shine Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:02 am

DAYTRIP wrote:Yea, taking it all. The center portion will be all hatches so not a lot of pure decking

having it all "boxed" up outside will help transfer loads from transom to the sides and stringers
Admin - Shine
Admin - Shine
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DAYTRIP Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:38 am

Making some progress. Got my outer stringers extended and more bulkheads installed. This weekend I put the first section of flooring down on the port side. You can see the doublers on the bulkheads to provide more glueing surface. Due to the width of the deck (9') I am doing the outer section (18") up to the point that the console sits and then will in fill the center area (6') running plywood opposite direction. This creates two box beams on the outer portion of the boat which will be very stiff in both bending and torsion.
BERTRAM 28 CENTER CONSOLE CONVERSION Img_0310

BERTRAM 28 CENTER CONSOLE CONVERSION Img_0311

DAYTRIP

Back to top Go down

Post by DAYTRIP Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:05 pm

Some additional photos with one section of deck in place. Ready to get the balance of the side sections in and flip it over to do the bottom. Plan there is grind off the anti-fouling and use the interlux VC epoxy. It will be on a lift so no bottom paint. I do plan on taking the gelcoat off in the rear 12' and adding a layer of 1708.

BERTRAM 28 CENTER CONSOLE CONVERSION Img_0313BERTRAM 28 CENTER CONSOLE CONVERSION Img_0312

DAYTRIP

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin - Shine Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:10 am

looking good Jim. Smile What will you use for cleats to epoxy down the middle sole section?
Admin - Shine
Admin - Shine
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DAYTRIP Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:26 am

I am going to either use Mahogany strips or lay up some angles that will epoxy to the sole and stringer. I will have access to glass the center.

DAYTRIP

Back to top Go down

Post by DAYTRIP Sun Jun 21, 2015 9:33 pm

Got the sole on the stbd side down today. The photo give a perspective of how big this barge is.

BERTRAM 28 CENTER CONSOLE CONVERSION Image13

DAYTRIP

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin - Shine Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:22 am

its a beast for sure!
Admin - Shine
Admin - Shine
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DAYTRIP Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:06 am

Did get some additional floor down last weekend but forgot pics. Joel stopped by and didn't realize I had done the platform on the bracket that I built so thought I would post some pics of that. I built this the bracket right on the boat so I have a bunch of photos documenting that as well. Maybe I should do a thread on building a bracket Joel??

BERTRAM 28 CENTER CONSOLE CONVERSION Img_0010

BERTRAM 28 CENTER CONSOLE CONVERSION Img_0011

DAYTRIP

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin - Shine Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:04 pm

Jim,

The bracket looks great

Maybe I should do a thread on building a bracket Joel?

That would be helpful to others who want to go that route. Thanks!
Admin - Shine
Admin - Shine
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DAYTRIP Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:02 pm

Took the v-berth out this week end so that I could slightly modify it and get it back in place with epoxy and glass. The original polyester and cabosil had completely unbounded. I added some glass to the vertical faces so that they could serve as bulkheads and I replaced a part of the floor that originally had a hatch in it. I also replaced the center bulkhead just for good measure. It was fine but figured might as well. It is amazing how the wood holds up if water drains correctly. Got it back in. What a pain. You can see my hoist AKA oak tree. I had put a bead of epoxy and wood flour on the edge which is like a flange then I reached under with small pieces of glass and attached the part to the hull. Will do the same on top.

BERTRAM 28 CENTER CONSOLE CONVERSION Img_0314

BERTRAM 28 CENTER CONSOLE CONVERSION Img_0315

Last edited by DAYTRIP on Sun Jul 12, 2015 7:25 pm; edited 1 time in total

DAYTRIP

Back to top Go down

Post by DAYTRIP Sun Jul 12, 2015 7:18 pm

Got the floor next to the console close to installed. Put in the bulkheads in that area and got the floor panels cut out. Need to get more glass and resin to install them.

BERTRAM 28 CENTER CONSOLE CONVERSION Image110

BERTRAM 28 CENTER CONSOLE CONVERSION Image15

BERTRAM 28 CENTER CONSOLE CONVERSION Image16

BERTRAM 28 CENTER CONSOLE CONVERSION Image17

DAYTRIP

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin - Shine Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:57 am

very cool console. It sure looks good with the sole in, even if its just temporary Smile

The original polyester and cabosil had completely unbounded.

polyester putty does not stand much of a chance over time. Good thing you are re-bonding it back in.
Admin - Shine
Admin - Shine
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next