GulfstreamComposites.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Speargun help, bizarre question

2 posters

Go down

Speargun help, bizarre question Empty Speargun help, bizarre question

Post by bigtalljv Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:27 pm

hi,

I have a bizarre question or a weird problem that needs a solution.  I am building a speargun from a laminated teak blank.  Pretty big gun, 2 x 1.5 x 60, 3 5/8" bands, 65" 5/16" shaft, for west coast seabass and yellowtail.  today I finished it and discovered that it's CRACKED!  the rear and side of the gun has a good sized crack that i can move by hand.  Any suggestions on how I can salvage this?  I was think about what I could do.  I could cut off the existing pocket and hope the crack doesn't extend past it, but I really don't want to do that.  I was hoping to figure out a way to glue it all back together.  Can I cut into or expand the crack and fill it with epoxy or something?  I'm just not sure whats going to be stronger or weaker.  I don't think this is a hugely high stress area so it just needs to be attached.  I am willing to fill all the voids and cut the pockets all again, that's not too big a deal.  I don't know where I can get a new blank anymore, the guy i got these from retired several years ago so i really hope to salvage this one.  of course the flip side being I don't need to have a speargun blow up on me.  

Thanks,
Jason

Speargun help, bizarre question Img_5413
Speargun help, bizarre question Img_5412

bigtalljv

Back to top Go down

Speargun help, bizarre question Empty Re: Speargun help, bizarre question

Post by bigtalljv Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:50 pm

i ended up getting some epoxy in the crack and filled it all back in with epoxy and re-cut the mechanism pocket and such so it should be all good. I can't imagine that it will come apart catastrophically now. I moved things around so there are some blocks of epoxy left to hold things together as well.

bigtalljv

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin - Shine Thu May 04, 2017 2:03 pm

sorry I missed this until now, but I think you found the solution, or at least the best possible solution. Teak doesnt hold an epoxy bond as well as other woods due to its oil content, but if you route out a shape (like a dovetail) into the crack, the added surface area plus the shape will hold it
Admin - Shine
Admin - Shine
Admin

https://gulfstreamcomposites.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down